5 Reasons You Should Use a Plant-Based Cleaner
1. Safety: Have you read the label on the back of a commercial cleaner? Warning! Flammable! Do not ingest! Keep out of reach of children! Many chemicals used in household cleaners have not been tested for safety. Household cleaning supplies are one of the top five substance classes accounting for calls to the National Poison Control Center. Many commercial cleaners contain ingredients that are endocrine disrupting chemicals, carcinogens, or neurotoxins. Kids, babies, and pets are even more vulnerable to chemical exposure because they are smaller and cannot get rid of toxins as easily as adults. It is definitely worth ditching harsh chemicals for a cleaner with plant- and mineral-based ingredients.
2. Air quality: Did you know that indoor air is 57 times more polluted than outdoor air? Most cleaning products contain Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs), which have been associated with many health problems, including damage to the liver, kidneys, and the central nervous system. They have also been shown to harm our lungs and cause throat irritations and headaches. VOCs are released when products are used and can linger in the air long after we clean. When we breathe, we inhale the air as well as whatever is in the air.
3. Environmental impact: Harsh chemicals found in cleaners are not only harmful to our bodies, but they also have a major impact on the environment and are huge contributors to environmental pollution. Some conventional cleaning products contain ingredients that are toxic, non-biodegradable, and from non-renewable resources like petroleum, so they harm the Earth's ecosystems. Harsh chemicals may contaminate the water through rivers, streams, and lakes, which affects wildlife, plants, trees, and us! Plus, there are thousands of chemicals that are in cleaning products that have never been tested for safety.
4. Convenience: It's much easier to clean with a few products that take care of all your cleaning needs, rather than a having whole arsenal of toxic products under your sink and in your bathrooms. With Thieves® Household Cleaner, you can tackle multiple cleaning jobs in your home without switching products as you clean! It cleans countertops, windows, mirrors, floors, toilets, showers, and pretty much everything else. Plus, you don't have to worry about getting bleach stains on your clothes or accidentally mixing dangerous chemicals together. It's worth a try for the convenience alone.
5. Cost: The cost of buying cleaners is expensive, especially if you have to buy multiple different cleaners. Thieves Household Cleaner is very cost effective, and it comes in a concentrated form. There are approximately 60 capfuls of the cleaner in a 14.4-ounce bottle. Using the medium degreasing ratio, you can get about 29 16-ounce cleaners. That’s less than $1 a bottle!
Why worry about all the what ifs? Be empowered and take charge of your chores by using a cleaner with plant-based ingredients.
These are only five of the many reasons to use a plant-based product.
If you want to start cleaning without harsh chemicals and aren't sure where to begin, start with Thieves Household Cleaner! It's versatile, effective, and can clean almost everything! Here are some of our favorite recipes.
DIY Thieves Cleaning Wipes
These DIY Thieves cleaning wipes are convenient, great for fast clean-up, require little to no time to make, and do not use any harsh chemicals!
All you need is:
- Paper towels
- Thieves Household Cleaner
- Thieves Essential Oil
- An air tight container (preferably glass or stainless steel)
Cut the paper towel roll in half with a knife and set it inside the container.
In a separate bowl, mix 2 cups of water, 2 capfuls of Thieves Household Cleaner, and 10 drops of Thieves essential oil. Pour the mixture over the paper towel roll.
Once the paper towel roll is wet, you will be able to easily lift the cardboard tube out from the middle and you can start pulling the paper towels out, just like store bought cleaning wipes!
Make sure to seal the container with a lid once you are done using them.