How to Use Essential Oils
How fast do oils work?
When inhaling an essential oil, the oil molecules reach the brain in 22 seconds!
When applying essential oils topically, the oil is found within the bloodstream within 2 minutes!
Not sure where to apply an essential oil?
The bottoms of your feet is always a great place to apply essential oils. Why? Because the bottoms of your feet have the largest pores of your skin, and all of your nerve endings lead to the bottoms of your feet, where according to eastern medicine and reflexology, there are points in your feet that connect to different organs and areas of your body, creating a 'highway' system for the oils to penetrate every cell of the body within 20 minutes of application.
Using essential oils aromatically is one of the most powerful ways to enjoy their benefits! Aromas are processed in the body before we are consciously aware of it, and they can set the mood and atmosphere in any environment. The sense of smell is directly connected to the limbic lobe of your brain, also known as the emotional control center. The limbic lobe is responsible for your mood, memory, behavior, feelings, and emotions, and it is connected to the olfactory bulb in the nose. When a scent arrives to the limbic system, your body responds by releasing unique chemicals into your brain, causing different reactions, depending on the aromas detected.
The same concept applies to aromas from essential oils! Those scents can set the mood or bring up memories before you are even aware of it. The sense of smell can have a profound impact on your emotions and inner desires.
Your sense of smell serves as a channel to connect to your inner systems. Next time you diffuse your favorite essential oil to eliminate odors, know that you are experiencing more benefits than just a good-smelling room!
Some ways you can experience the aromatic benefits of essential oils are:
- Diffuse! You have a diffuser in your kit, open it up and start using it today!
- Put a few drops in your hand, cup your nose, and slowly inhale.
- Apply to your wrists or neck for an aromatic boost throughout the day.
Apply a few drops to your diffuser jewelry of choice.
Add 2-3 drops to cotton balls and place them around your home.
- Make a linen spray or bedroom mist by mixing essential oils and water in a glass spray bottle.
Applying essential oils on your skin is convenient, practical, effective, and a great way to experience some of their many benefits! You can enhance your massage, apply to fatigued areas after exercise, smooth the appearance of wrinkles, support healthy-looking skin, and so much more! Try applying oils to your feet, adding them to a foot bath or massage oil, or adding them to your beauty products.
Here are a few areas to apply essential oils found in your PSK (Premium Starter Kit):
- Face: Oils are amazing for enhancing your beauty routine. Frankincense and Lavender can help reduce the appearance of blemishes and fine lines for a more radiant glow!
- Forehead, neck, base of skull, and temples: Use oils like Peppermint and PanAway ® for a cooling sensation on targeted areas.
- Abdomen: Try applying oils like DiGize® and Peppermint over your stomach before and after meals
- Wrists and chest: Apply your favorite scent as a natural perfume without all the harsh chemicals. Stress Away and Peace and Calming are some of our favorite relaxing scents.
- Chest: Raven® is great to help freshen the airways. Mix with a carrier oil and apply to the chest!
- Hair: You can support the appearance of healthy-looking hair with Lavender and Frankincense.
- Bottoms of feet: The bottoms of the feet are a good place to apply oils because the skin on your feet is not as sensitive as other areas. Massaging your feet can also stimulate nerve endings, which can be very beneficial for your entire body. Try applying Valor or Lavender as you try to unwind after a long day.
When using essential oils topically, it is important to know a few safety guidelines:
- We do not recommend using essential oils in your eyes, ear canals, and other sensitive areas.
- Remember to dilute your essential oil with a carrier oil, especially if you are new to essential oils. Carrier oils will ensure that the essential oil applied is comfortable on the skin. These are fat soluble oils like Young Living’s V-6™ Vegetable Oil Complex, coconut oil, avocado oil, or jojoba oil. Diluting does not dilute the power or effect of the essential oil. Look for specific dilution ratios on Young Living essential oil bottles. Once you are familiar with how your body reacts to essential oils, you can try applying gentle oils like Frankincense and Lavender directly on your skin without a carrier oil.
- Stop using the oil if irritation or discomfort on the skin occurs, and do not rinse with water. Apply a carrier oil to the affected area. Oils are hydrophobic which means on a molecular level they repel from water molecules. So if you decide you no longer want an oil on your skin, washing it off with water will not work. Use a carrier oil to rinse and dilute essential oils.
- What is a hot oil? Hot oils are oils that may have a tingling or burning sensation on the skin when applied undiluted or without a carrier oil. If you experience this, simply dilute the area with a carrier oil - not water!
Hot oils include (but not restricted to): Lemongrass, Exodus II, Cinnamon Bark, Thieves, Clove, Peppermint, Oregano, Thyme.
- Citrus-based oils and blends may cause temporary photosensitivity. This means they will make your skin more sensitive to the sun. Follow individual label instructions and avoid direct sunlight for 12–48 hours. We recommend applying citrus oils on skin that will not be exposed to direct light.
The skin is the body’s largest organ and it acts similar to a sponge--everything we apply topically gets absorbed into the body. This is just one of the reasons we should be using quality, plant-based products for our skin and in our personal care products.
Did you know?
At the end of an umbilical cord is the Pechoti gland which remains after birth. Every human has a Pechoti gland which is connected to more than 72,000 nerves that run throughout the body to various organs and tissues.
By applying essential oils or CBD oil to the belly button and utilizing the Pechoti delivery method, constituents have the ability to reach every part of your body. This is something that no other delivery method can provide.
Did you know that you can use essential oils internally? Young Living’s Vitality line was created so you can enjoy the benefits of essential oils internally. This white labeled collection of oils is specifically labeled for dietary or internal use; whereas, the “regular” essential oils are labeled for topical/aromatic use. The essential oil inside both bottles is the exact same pure essential oil—the label and recommended usage are the only differences! You can use the Vitality line in your cooking, to flavor your favorite beverages, create your own veggie capsules, and support many different body systems. Vitality essential oils are a great way to keep yourself healthy!
Young Living Vitality Oils are Non-GMO project verified. To receive this certification, all Vitality oils passed through third-party verification, auditing, and testing. This distinction is yet another example of our Seed to Seal quality commitment.
Vitality oils are the appropriate essential oils to use when sharing internal use practices and cooking recipes with others. Please remember that Young Living always encourages you to use products as labeled!
Below are few powerful ways you can use Vitality essential oils:
- Add a few drops of Lemon Vitality to your water for antioxidant properties and immune and circulatory support.
- Support a Healthy immune system by adding Thieves Vitality to a veggie capsule.
- Put a drop of German Chamomile Vitality on your tongue or put in a capsule for mood support and to help calm occasional nervous tension.
- Grapefruit Vitality supports weight management, the lymphatic and circulatory systems, and is cleansing, enhance the taste of your smoothies or veggie juice with this bold flavor!
- Add a few drops of Peppermint Vitality to your favorite drink to support normal digestion.
- Lavender Vitality promotes restful sleep, the feeling of calm and fights the occasional nervous tension.
Remember essential oils are potent, one drop goes a LONG way when cooking. Try dipping a toothpick in your bottle, swirl the toothpick in your dish, and then slowly add more oil to taste.
If adding oils to a drink, be sure to use a glass or stainless-steel bottle because oils will eat away plastic. Use caution when using an oil on any soft, plastic surface.
Why can I use some essential oils internally, while others I should not?
How To Use Essential Oils
Any time you hold a bottle of our powerful essential oils, you are holding the pure essence of health-promoting botanicals that can be diffused, inhaled, applied topically, incorporated into massage, or taken internally to:
Inspire a positive emotional state
Love the way the spritz of fragrance from a fresh orange peel can brighten your day? Each essential oil’s complex, pleasant, and unique scent activates the limbic system—the brain’s center of emotion and memory—differently. Essential oils can be your key to a more fulfilling and balanced emotional life.
To help you rediscover peace, balance, and joy, use these essential oils and blends for diffusion, soothing baths, massage, inhalation, or topical application:
Joy™, Lavender, Orange, Peace & Calming™, Peppermint, Jasmine
Alleviate Physical Discomforts
When applied topically, or even used internally, the essential oils will support the body’s natural ability to heal itself through offering beneficial support to all systems of the body.
Create deep spiritual awareness
Incense and essential oils from plants have always played an important part in religious and spiritual ceremonies, helping participants to transcend the trivial and connect with something larger than themselves. Research shows that the pure constituents in these oils stimulate olfactory receptors and activate regions in the brain’s limbic system associated with memory, emotion, and state of mind. To enhance your spiritual practice, dilute and apply meditative, empowering essential oils directly to wrists, feet, and behind the ears, or diffuse in a quiet space. Popular essential oils and blends for spiritual focus include:
Sacred Frankincense, White Angelica™, Egyptian Gold™, Inspiration™, The Gift™